Thursday, March 13, 2008

My head itches daddy...

Awww, my two mens:-) What is cuter than daddy being used as an eye boogie remover station?
I hopped on the Pony man (Lester) Monday and felt like we would be very strong contenders in a lead line or walk trot class. Lose rein, mane holding, nice jog with straight up posting and letting the pony wonder...He was a good boy as he has been for quite awhile now.
Pony Man got some new sha- oooz (shoes) on Tuesday so he got his Icon injection to help with his stiff joints and of course earned another smiley from his farrier Ronnie!
Yesterday he was in a new pasture and he still came up to the gate and nickered, sweet sweet pony man. I lunged him for 4.5 minutes, that's about all I could chase out of him. Kidding, he's actually a very good boy on the lunge and even though I am one of those VERY annoying constant clickers and kissers he listens to my voice commands very well. He gave me a nice jog then I hopped and jumped at him a bit and he BOLTED I wasn't expecting it, but as always (usually) he bolts within the realm of his lungeline. Then came a beautiful springy trot and canter, he looked gooooooooood. I will be hopping on that pony today he and I both are getting a bit chubby :-x







5 comments:

Heather said...

I love it when Clyde (my 3 yo paint gelding) rubs his head on me. So sweet. It makes me very hopeful to read things like this. Having such a young horse and going into my second year of training him, there are days when I just don't want to go back out there after he acts like a jerk. Then he has a great day and I can't wait to go back and try something new with him again. Keep the horse stories coming.

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Yay! finally mention of this "mysterious" horse of yours;-) What discipline do you do with him? It look me at least 2 years to fall in love with Lester...we have had our share of ups and downs and still do! but eventually you learn more and more about what works and doesn't work and things become a little easier:-)

Heather said...

I ride western with him. I never rode a horse or stood near a horse until I got him when I turned 30. I guess some people go off the deep end and buy a fancy car. I got a 800 lb horse :). It's a funny story how he came to be mine. I'll be sure to post it soon. He's very easy going and loves me a lot, but he is a baby and shows that ornery streak about once a month to where I end up with a headache within about an 15 minutes of being out there. I'm using the Parelli method with him due to his lack of confidence (he was gelded at a very young age). Which has made him easier to handle for a beginning rider. I'm the one who "broke" him. I'm the only one who has ridden him really until recently. I have a very hot cowboy who is putting him through really learning how to stop in a cantor (he loves to go - not so much on the stop).

Heather said...

Oh, did I mention he just turned 3 and he is 16 hands high. My big boy is part draft I think :).

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Hmmm, Clyde could have some meaning in that name! I look forward to hearing his story.
Don't get too stuck doing the Parelli stuff :-) I think it's a good concept, but the games and carrot sticks get pricey so just don't get sucked in:-) oh and don't forget to actually ride the horse ;-) Try to get a pick of the hot cowboy that is working with him when you do post about him!