Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Pony had a tummy ache...

Usually when someone shows up to work in the same clothes they had on the day before it meant they were out having fun the night before...not in my case. Luckily, Matt and I work together so he was able to bring me a new set of clothes because I stayed at the farm last night in the barn apartment.
When I showed up at the farm yesterday Laura had Lester and Polo already in hand:-/ She said Less had been running and whinnying and then would go down and roll. He was kicking at his stomach, standing like a saw-horse and just overall looked uncomfortable and bloated. For those of you that may not know or haven't read that far back, in May of 2007 Lester coliced, bad, and had to have surgery. They removed 15 feet of his smaller intestine and removed some fatty tissue... You just never know how a colic is going to turn out, never. Lester didn't have good odds back in 2007 and I was told that most horses that had his type of surgery sometimes didn't make it a year. But here he is today, beating those odds.

We gave him some banamine and called the vet- Laura works for the vets so it's always super easy to get a hold of them:-) We walked and did a few jog sets here and there. I cleared his stall of all hay because I knew the poor boy would have to be starved for the night. The vet came and palpated him and determined things were all where they should be. He retrieved some dry stool and he had little reflux on his tummy which was a good thing. Dr. Jason tubed and oiled him with electrolytes. He gave the familiar line of no food, but he could go out as normal in the morning and have half his dinner if all goes well today. Half of what? The Pigman doesn't get much to begin with, lol!

He still kicked at his belly for the next couple of hours off and on and he would raise his back leg high like when he wants to be scratched. I tried a couple of different things to get him to pass gas, taking his temperature, grooming him to a state of complete "relaxation" and the walking and jogging. And they all seem to have worked. By 11:30PM he wasn't kicking anymore or raising his leg and he was CRANKY as heck for food. He had pooped 3 times by then and I let him have a few bites of grass and then went to bed.

I got up at 5AM and took Less out for another hand graze. It was so peaceful and nice out. I could just make out his outline in the moonlight and hear him chomping away... course no good pics to be had. Maybe that "time" is only to be left as a memory in my own head.

I returned the angry boy to his stall and went back to bed for an hour because Polo had been laying down in his stall and I didn't want to wake him. Also I wasn't impressed with the lack of water Less drank and was hoping he would drink after a short graze, but he did not.So far so good. I think Less still looks a bit bloated, but he isn't showing any uncomfortable signs. I went and saw him on my lunch hour and brought out some senior mash with me- can't visit the Pigman with no treats/ food.
I think his gas/ compaction colic is due to lack of drinking and we suspect now that the Pigman ate all the old hay in the run in shed's racks. Who would have thought he would eat crappy hay before all that nice grass??!! :-o Laura mentioned to me over the weekend about removing that hay and it just slipped my mind:-/


Melanie said...

OMG!!! I am so sorry !! I spent many nights out with my old horse, Shadest...he used to colic about 2-3 times per winter (damage done to his instestine's from being starved).

I am glad that he is doing better now, and I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh no! I bet you've been worried out of your mind.
Colic seems to be the worst word a horse owner can hear. I hope Less gets better and better and this bout is history quick.

I'm glad you enjoyed some special time outside in the early monring, though. :)


Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I'm glad he's doing better.


cdncowgirl said...

Jingling that it was just a small episode and everything is back to normal for the big guy

allhorsestuff said...

Oh my,...I am so happy to hear Less is doing better.
With my bout of C in the summer...may have been do to lack of water cause she had bad distortion and gas.

He is wonderful man and you are the best mom!

Anonymous said...

I am glad Less is doing ok.

I've been lucky enough to never have had to deal with colic so far. Knock on wood! However, when I moved here with the Hubs, I made sure I knew exactly how to get to OSU just in case.

greytblackdog said...

i can't believe i missed this. how scary! do you have an update?

we had to start watering down clyde's feed b/c he wasn't drinking enough this summer and he was getting dehydrated! what animal does that to itself? he didn't like drinking with the mares. maybe you can find ways to increase his water intake to avoid another "walk of shame" - er colic night out.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Glad to hear Less is doing better. I hate colic it seems so unfair to the poor guy. Hope this is his last bout of it.

Laura said...

Oh no! I'm glad to hear he is doing ok this morning. I hope he continues to improve for you!

Jingles for Less-man! And for you - that must have been another long night of worry.